Steele, Louis John
- Steele, Louis John
- Steele, L. J.
- Steele, Louis
- Steele, Louis James
- Birth date
- 30 January 1842
- Death date
- 12 December 1918
- Birth place
- Reigate, Surrey
- Birth country
- Death place
- Death country
- New Zealand
Louis John Steele's Te Ara biography is available online.
The middle name James is used erroneously for the artist Louis John Steele quite frequently. This error appears to originate in Una Platts, Nineteenth Century New Zealand Artists and, assuming this to be correct, it has subsequently been repeated in auction catalogues and other records. The name on Steele's birth certificate however is Louis John Steele. Due to the frequency with which the name is mistakenly used it is included here as a variant, but it should be noted that it is incorrect.
Artist files held at:
- Sarjeant Gallery Te Whare o Rehua Whanganui
- Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki
- University of Auckland
- Hocken Collections Uare Taoka o Hākena
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
- Auckland Society of Arts
- South Canterbury Art Society
- Otago Art Society
- Melbourne Centennial Exhibition 1888
- New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition, Dunedin 1889-90
- Auckland Industrial and Mining Exhibition, 1898
- Louisiana Purchase Exhibition, St Louis 1904
- New Zealand International Exhibition 1906
Published reference sources:
If you want to know more about this artist, follow the links above and check the files, books and other material that we have indexed.